Skip to Main Content


Academic Placement Testing

East Peoria Campus • L220 • (309) 694-5234

ICC Peoria • Arbor Hall, A103 • (309) 690-6990

The College uses placement tests in subjects like math and reading to determine college readiness and to place students in classes at the appropriate level. The Reading Placement Test is required for most college-level courses unless the student has met one of the other placement options. ICC’s Math Placement Test is required for all math courses unless one of the other placement options has been met. Availability of score equivalencies and options will vary by course level.

For specific requirements review Do I Need a Placement Test on the ICC Testing Center website at

Additional placement tests are available for specific courses or subjects. Direct placement into BIOL 205 is dependent upon successful completion of the Anatomy and Physiology placement test. Other placement tests are available but not required for individuals with background knowledge in Spanish and Music Theory.

Study guides and additional resources can be found on the Testing Center website at

If you require reasonable accommodations for testing, please contact Access Services at (309) 694-5749 to discuss the documentation you will need to submit.

Testing Center

East Peoria Campus • L220 • (309) 694-5234

ICC Peoria • Arbor Hall, A103 • (309) 690-6990

The Testing Centers at the East Peoria and Peoria campuses offer a variety of other testing services. If a student misses an exam in the classroom, the instructor may have the student take a proctored test in the Testing Center. Credit by examination (CLEP and departmental proficiency exams) are available. Some certification and licensing exams may be available.

All testing is by appointment. Visit the Testing Center website at for more details about these and other tests, as well as instructions on scheduling appointments.

Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Students pursuing a degree or certificate at ICC who are interested in receiving credit from college-level coursework taken from another institution should have their official transcripts sent directly to Illinois Central College as early as possible for evaluation. Once ICC receives an official transcript(s) it is evaluated in the order in which it is received. Information regarding the date the transcript was received is available in the student’s MyICC account. Keep in mind that your credits may transfer, but individual grades will not be factored into your ICC cumulative grade point average. Once completed, a student’s transcript evaluation summary will be available to view in the student’s MyICC account.

Transfer of credit may be considered for lower division coursework that has been successfully completed from the following categories of academic institutions:

Regionally Accredited: Degree-granting public, private, nonprofit, two- and four-year institutions in the United States conferred by the Higher Learning Commission, and/or parallel accrediting agencies in other regions of the United States.

Non-Regionally Accredited: Specialized institutions in the United States, including distance learning providers recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education.

Non-United States Institutions: Institutions that hold accreditation through the home country’s Ministry of Education to award professional degrees, certificates, and licensures. Coursework from non-United States institutions must be evaluated by an approved agency such as World Education Services ( or Educational Credential Evaluators (

Military/DANTES: Credit achieved through military training or examination may be considered for transfer according to the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services by the American Council on Education (ACE). Additional information on evaluation of transfer credit can be obtained from Enrollment Services, L211, (309) 694-5611.

Credit for Prior Learning

Several methods are available for students to test their knowledge/prove their learning about a variety of subject matter in which the student feels proficient and thereby earn non-traditional college credit. Credit for prior learning can save a student valuable time needed for other subjects, in addition to being a financial savings. Credit for prior learning can be a jump-start to a college certificate or degree. Examples of credit for prior learning accepted at Illinois Central College are:

  • Military credit

  • CLEP exams

  • Advanced placement exams

  • Early College

  • Transfer credit

  • Departmental proficiency exams

College Credit by Examination

Students may apply a maximum of 30 credit hours towards a degree through College Credit by Examination. Students pursuing a certificate must complete a minimum of 30% of their credits towards their certificate at Illinois Central College.

Credit for Service and Education in the Armed Forces

ICC Veterans Affairs • East Peoria Campus • Room L208 • (309) 694-5562

Illinois Central College recognizes certain training experience in the U.S. Armed Forces for college credit.

To have military education credits evaluated and posted to Illinois Central College records, official transcripts from The Community College of the Air Force or Joint Services Transcript (JST) must be sent directly to the College. It is the student’s responsibility to request the transcript be sent directly to Illinois Central College.

Any other military education for which students wish to receive consideration for credit must be listed on the DD-214. Students must bring a copy of their DD-214 to Enrollment Services. Eligible veterans, as outlined below, may receive six hours of Transfer Credit (TC) upon submission and review of their DD-214.

To be consistent with federal guidelines, an “eligible veteran” is defined as one who meets the following criteria:

  1. Served on active duty for a period of at least 180 days or;

  2. Was released/discharged from active duty because of a service connected disability, or;

  3. Served as a member of a reserve component under an order of active duty during a period of war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized. (Reference Public Law 102-127).

To ensure maximum veteran education benefits, please contact the ICC Veterans Affairs at (309) 694-5562 or in Room L208 on the East Peoria Campus.