Skip to Main Content


Transfer Degrees

Illinois Central College offers a wide variety of courses specifically designed for transfer. The keys to successful transfer are to start planning immediately and to select coursework carefully. The Associate in Arts (AA), the Associate in Science (AS), and the Associate in Engineering Science (AES) degrees are intended for students planning to transfer to a college or university for a baccalaureate degree. However, since requirements can vary from one institution to another, it is recommended that students meet regularly with an academic advisor as well as verify information with the transfer institution.

Academic advisors are available to help students develop an individual education plan. Although Associate in Applied Science (AAS) programs are not primarily designed for transfer to a four-year institution, ICC has established articulation agreements with a number of colleges and universities so that many AAS degrees may transfer. Students should consult an academic advisor or program coordinator regarding the growing transfer possibilities with the AAS degrees.

Transfer Planning

East Peoria Campus • CC204 • (309) 694-5322

Students who earn the Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degrees at Illinois Central College before transferring may be granted junior standing by many baccalaureate institutions considering the general education requirements are completed. Transfer students should check early with their transfer institutions and advisors to ensure they are meeting ALL requirements specific to each individual institution. A few colleges/universities may do a course-by-course examination of work from Illinois Central College, and could expect students to complete some general education courses at their institution. Students should work together with their academic advisors and the Transfer Center along with transfer institutions to build a transfer degree program appropriate for them. As a general rule, earning an AA or AS degree is an excellent strategy for transfer. Students who decide to transfer to another college in Illinois before they earn an AA or AS degree will find that Illinois Articulation Initiative IAI-approved courses will be accepted by most baccalaureate institutions. Transferring without completing the general education core curriculum may mean that students must complete the general education requirements at the four-year institution.

Transferring From Illinois Central College

The Transfer Center at Illinois Central College offers information about transferring to baccalaureate institutions. For successful transfer, the following checklist is available for all students who plan to transfer:

  1. Choose a Plan of Study (Major)

  2. Plan Your ICC Courses

  3. Visit the ICC Transfer Center

  4. Research and Choose a University

  5. Visit Campuses

  6. Apply for Admission

  7. Send Transcripts

  8. Secure Financial Aid

  9. Stay in Touch With Your Transfer School

  10. Attend Your Transfer School’s Orientation

To schedule an appointment call (309) 694-5322 or email Transfer information can be obtained from their academic advisor and the Transfer Center or on the Transfer Planning page on the ICC website

Baccalaureate Completion/Transfer Agreements

Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)

Illinois Central College participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), and has since 1998. Under the terms of IAI, a student who fulfills the general education requirements for the Associate in Arts (AA) degree and Associate in Science (AS) degree as listed in this catalog may also fulfill the lower divisional general education requirements at more than 100 colleges and universities, both private and public, within the State of Illinois.

This benefit is intended to make the transition to an Illinois four-year college or university easier. Information about IAI, including names of participating schools and specific course information, is available from Illinois Central College academic advisors, the ICC Transfer Center, and the itransfer website: iTransfer Home | iTransfer (

Refer to IAI and ICC General Education Course Alignment and follow ICC’s IAI/Transfer guidelines:

  • Students should be advised that most universities will accept for transfer no more than approximately 66 credit hours from a community college toward the bachelor degree.

  • Students transferring in the completed IAI General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) will not be required to complete ICC’s Associate in Arts (AA) degree or Associate in Science (AS) degree specific requirements.

  • The College will accept IAI GECC courses that have a passing grade when the Core has not been completed prior to transfer. Students must maintain an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) in all IAI GECC courses and ENGL 110 and ENGL 111 must receive a grade of C or better.

  • ICC does not accept partial semester credit, but will accept credit for quarter hours to satisfy course requirements. Minimum hours required for Associate in Arts (AA) degree or Associate in Science (AS) degree will remain at 60 hours.

  • Transfer credit may be accepted from another college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association. If the credit is not from such an institution, the transcript will not be evaluated nor will the credit be accepted as fulfilling IAI requirements.

  • ICC accepts College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits to satisfy credit requirements for a degree and/or as fulfilling the IAI GECC. Refer to Credit for Prior Learning or more information on CLEP. If a student fulfills the entire IAI package at a school and the school so certifies, ICC will accept that the student has fulfilled the IAI general education requirements. If the student does not complete the entire IAI package, courses will be accepted on a course-by-course basis.


“The AA and AS degrees contain the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) General Education Core Curriculum (GECC). The GECC is a “package” of courses that when completed, can transfer to over 100 IAI participating institutions and be accepted in lieu of the receiving institutions lower-division general education core.”